Saturday 10 September 2011

This is not a book


I was my birthday recently, and I was given a book by Keri Smith called 'This is Not a Book'.


Keri Smith has written a series of books (Wreck this Journal, How to be an Explorer of the World) which are meant to be destroyed/altered by writing on, ripping and experimenting with the pages. Despite this being an awesome idea, I just couldn't bring myself to actually damage the books because, you know, its a book. They're somehow sacred and not to be written on.

But the time has come to take the plunge and start doing as the book is asking me. I decided to come at the book randomly, choose a page by flicking the book open and do what the page tells me to do.

So to page 109 - This is an excerpt from another book.


My randomly selected book is Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (a book which I strongly reccommend. Far better than the slightly crappy 90s TV series of the same name.)


I close my eyes and flick onto page 275 and write down the first sentence I see:

"He banged the lump of metal with his hammer, twisting it as he did so with implements Richard assumed, correctly, were tongs."


So there we have it, I have started to complete an interactive book project. Stay tuned for the next thrilling instalment!


No comments:

Post a Comment